After an update on RelyLocal.com’s Cash Mob at the Miracle Hill Thrift store in Taylors on Wade Hampton Blvd and a look at George Zimmerman’s “re-enactment of his shooting of Trayvon Martin, we dove head first into the illegal immigration.
Governor Haley vetoed a number of pieces of legislation recently, some apparently controversial, so along with discussing our take on the vetoes, we want to hear from you. We will be placing polls on the page to get your views on a few of the vetoes.
We’ve started with her veto of the HPV vaccination bill introduced by Rep. Bakari Sellers (D-Bamburg). This legislation would have had the Department of Health and Environmental Control offer a vaccine against the Human Papillomavirus which can cause cervical cancer to all adolescent students entering 7th grade in public or private schools, but would not require the vaccination for enrollment in school and would provide information for parents and encouragement to parents to seek out their own doctors for advice and vaccination. The bill also would be contingent on the receipt of funding from state and federal sources before being implemented. The Governor, in her letter of veto, said that the legislation was “superfluous” and “a precurser to another taxpayer-funded healthcare mandate.”
We want to hear what you think. Take a minute and vote on the poll to the left and if you would like to explain your position more, feel free to comment on this post. We are eager to hear your voice on this. This is one of the issues we will be discussing on Monday’s show.
In a polite letter to Speaker of the House Bobby Harrell, Governor Haley exercised her line item veto 35 times. Duplication of services, actions not in keeping with the core function of government and a preference for private funding were the top three reasons the governor listed for vetoing a host of different budget items. The Legislature was not pleased with her vetoes; overriding all but 8 of them by impressive margins, like 105-8 in the House and 32-6 in the Senate. (more…)
Recent Posts By Eric & Friends
- Guest Article: Brittany Smith on S.N.A.P. and Healthy Foods
- Show Recap, May 20, 2013: The Never Ending War (On Terror) and the “Authorization” that went astray
- The Midwest needs us!
- Show Recap,May 14, 2013: What in the world is going on in Washington?
- There’s a new Comeback Kid, but don’t give up!
- Show Recap, May 6, 2013: Drunks, fat people and place we don’t want to live.
- Long time sponsor of Another Voice: Personal Defense Outfitter
- Looking behind the excuses from Columbia.
- Show Recap, April 29, 2013: Another Look at SNAP recipients, legislative update and nullification
- Rides for Strides hits a Rain Delay!